In recent years, the “District” structure of Scouting locally has been in some disarray, for reasons I don’t need to go into. There as been no District Commissioner (The GSL’s line manager in Scouting terms) throughout 2016. This lack of leadership, oversight and accountability at District level was very serious and was not sustainable.
I have been asked by the Surrey County Commissioner, Mr Joe Rogerson, if I would take up the vacant role of District Commissioner in East Surrey. And I have accepted. This is a huge step of faith and will involve a great deal of work, not only for me. It has implications for all 1OX Scouts, leaders, helpers, and parents.
- It does mean that between now and Easter 2017, others will start to take up the management and administration of everyday Scouting at Oxted.
- It does mean extra work for me and for others amongst you if safe and fun Scout nights are to continue at Oxted.
- It does NOT mean that I will cease to be involved at all with the 1st Oxted.
- It does NOT mean that everything will fall to rack and ruin.
As District Commissioner I will remain directly responsible for the continuance of safe and fun Scouting at Oxted. and also at Tatsfield, Godstone, South Godstone, Lingfield, Felbridge, Burstow, and in due course, once again at Hurst Green.
I shall continue to answer questions at the usual address email@example.com, but would encourage you to contact the following people also:
- For matters relating to the fabric of the hut itself and our relations with the community – the Chairman Adrienne Seaman
- For matters relating to the Group as a whole, and movements between Beavers, Cubs & Scouts, Phil Hosp
- For matters relating to admissions and joining lists, our administrator Susie Burnard
- For matters relating to Explorer Scouts (over 14s), contact Amanda Doran
- For Young Leader matters, Tony Pearson
- For other matters directly relating to the Scout nights, contact Pete Record (Mondays) and Lee Beech (Thursdays)