Fundraising and Community
The Group has a number of fund-raising events through the year. These are:
- The Spring Bike Sale, normally held on the first or second Saturday in May in Master Park
- The Autumn Bike Sale, normally held on the second Saturday in September, again in Master Park
- Bag-packing at Morrisons, usually held in December
We depend on the assistance of volunteers from amongst the parents of youngsters, and from other friends of the Group, as well as the Executive Committee and many of the uniformed leaders, to make these events work.
Fund-raising events of this sort, in any given year, can raise between over £5000 for Group funds as well as amounts that are donated to local organisations.
Two key dates in the annual diary where we are very visible in the local community are:
- Remembrance Sunday where we parade long with others in both Oxted and Hurst Green, as well as attending the church service
- St George’s Day is an important day for Scouting and we will usually be seen on the nearest Sunday, where all the youngsters and leaders renew their Scouting promise as well as taking part in other activities
We very much encourage all youngsters to take part in both fundraising and community activities.